Monday, October 02, 2006

Things I've Learned.....

So I bet you all thought that this entry would be all about my first month at Access, but you’re wrong! Today I was thinking about the past 6 weeks of my life (which in reality is a drop in Lake Superior compared to a whole lifetime) but they have stretched me emotionally, begun to show me what patience means in this situation and well, have just been hard. So as I was thinking about what I’ve learned or how I’ve processed these past few big changes I thought I’d write them down and put them out there, scary but we’ll see how it all goes. So, I’ve learned that...

1) I have the weird idea that I am in control and that I HAVE to let that go, in reality the Lord is in control. What a peace is found in that realization! I have been amazed at the peace that can only have come from the Lord and how He is gracious in giving me that peace each day.

2) International communication can come in many different ways and many different directions. Phone calls! Emails! Skype! Friends that hug you on the behalf of a “certain someone”! Flowers left at your front door, again, left a “certain someone”! And snail mail!

3) While I am on the topic of snail mail (you all know how I love the post office!), there is nothing better than receiving a letter in the mail! I think the fact that it is something that Joel has written is an amazing physical reminder of him, even though he is not here. And it’s so fun to peek into my mailbox and see that tan, manila envelope; it’s like a present every week!

4) My parents are very, cool and very funny! I love that they have decided to take this risk and have decided to satisfy their quest for adventure. I guess Wabakimi just wasn’t cutting it anymore, they needed some spice (both figuratively and literally in the food) to their life, so they took the risk. And my parents are very funny (okay so I already new this) but I think it’s showing even more in their stories and pictures.

5) Having the people you love all call you on the same day, while you are having “international phone call day” is wonderful and crazy at the same time. I think it is crazy because it’s almost like everyone is just around the block but in reality they are on the other side of the world. The "third side of the hexagon" (as wonderful as "international phone call day" is) is that it can be somewhat draining and I need to learn how to process those emotions.

6) I am blessed to have the amount and quality of communication that I do with Joel and my parents. And that has kept me sane these past six weeks and will continue to keep me sane until they come home.

7) Finally, (but not the end) I really miss the people I love and I am learning how that feels and how to handle all those emotions. That’s all I have to say about that right now (Forest Gump anyone?)

So that is just a glimpse of what I am learning and there will/are many more things, concepts and ideas that will become real to me in the future. I am sure that there is more underneath the surface of my brain, but I still have alot to learn.

(And, by the way, Gilmore Girls on DVD rocks! Soooooo very good for lifting the spirits!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You really have a great way of writing. Your 'lessons learned' are those that will carry through a lifetime. You are an amazing women and everyone in your life is priveledged to know you. We love you very much and miss you tool

Anonymous said...

Shannon- I've never read your blog before, but it is now on my "to read" list- i love it! Thanks for reading mine. Is the Jen in Sudan the Jen I know?