Tuesday, October 24, 2006

"What are we doing? Grace? Jess? Anyone?"



So I spent this last weekend giggling, shopping, eating and saying the statement:

“Remind me, why are we doing this again?”

This past weekend my friends Jess, Ashley and I had ourselves a little reunion in Chicago. A reunion that involved one very long run, one that is 26.2 miles long! In May all three of us signed up for the Chicago Marathon and at that time it seemed like a good idea. I mean come on; in our Junior year in college we all ran the Twin Cities Marathon together (Jen also ran it, but unfortunately this time she is Sudan. Though she said that we could all come over and run the Goli-Yei Marathon, which is Jen’s own creation) and that marathon was a fun time. So why not this one? Now, all of us are spread out across the country, what better idea or way to connect than to run a marathon together. The weekend was one of the best weekends that I have had in a month or so, it was fun to reconnect with friends. It was so very fun to walk (and run), talk and giggle; it was as if we didn’t live hundreds of miles away from each other. Overall, it was a good run. Ashley put it best with the statement:

“Just think of it as one of our Sunday long runs, I’m just going on a long run, right?” ~ Ashley
"Yeah sure, just a long run. I can work with that, no worries! It's all mental anyways." ~ Me
" No, we're just crazy. Sorry girls, why did I suggest this?" ~ Jess

It was a very cold run, the temp didn’t get over 40 degrees and the wind cut through my duofold running top at every turn. I guess I should have known, it is called the the Windy city! One good thing about the cold was that it kept me running because if I walked too much I would get very, very cold! Well, we all survived and I even beat my first marathon time by 10 minutes! I was able to run this marathon in 4 hours and 55 minutes and I am still standing. Well, actually, more like hobbling! But, regardless of the pain, I am so very happy to have spent the weekend with some of my best friends! And it was wonderful to experience this with them, again.

(P.S. More pictures to come....)

3 comments:

Mary said...

congrats, shannon! that's awesome. i still think you're crazy for running 26.2 miles in one of the most crowd-packed marathons ever in chilly temps, but i am ever more wowed by your perseverene! :)

Unknown said...

Absolutely wonderful job! Can't believe someone with my gene pool has run not one but two marathons! Must be Daddy's side of the genetic make up. From India a hearty hoo hah, Shannonn rah!

Joel said...

Make that two "hearty hoo hah's" from India!