Monday, August 28, 2006

Bouquets of sharpened pencils

So this entry is inspired by one line from the absolutely cheesy, yet a guilty pleasure movie “You’ve Got Mail” (which I feel that I can now understand the excitement of getting an email). In the beginning of the movie Meg Ryan explains that fall is one of her favorite seasons and instead of bouquets of flowers she would like bouquets of sharpened pencils. (Though I always love flowers, so no funny ideas!) Today, I was reminded that fall is also one of my favorite seasons of the year. As I stepped off my porch, I found that I needed to grab a light jacket to take the chill off! So why do I love fall?

First, the weather! There is something special about a crisp, sunny fall day which a sweater and scarf is all you need to stay warm. There is something wonderful about my nose feeling cold and seeing my breath as I walk around the farmer’s market on a Saturday morning.

The farmers market, that’s the second reason why I love the season of fall. The farmers market has some of the best fruits and vegetables in the fall and so much inspiration can be found in the beautiful apples and squashes! I love walking around the square with my cup of warm coffee taking in all of the wonderful sights! The fall farmer’s market also allows me to cook soups, bake breads and pies! It’s much easier to turn on the oven and fire up the stove when I am not surrounded by sweltering heat!

This fall is bringing an exciting (and kind of scary) change in my life, which is a new job for me! My start date is on the first day of school (September 5th) for Madison students and even though I am not in school, I feel like I am a kid on the first day of school. I am excited to begin working at Access Community Health Centers and seeing if my desire to work with people who most need health care, is really true.

There are many reasons why I love fall and they won’t all fit on this page. Who knows maybe I would really like a bouquet of sharpened pencils for my birthday (which is also in October, yet another reason why fall rocks!)

No comments: