Thursday, November 30, 2006

I Wish My Mom Were Here.....

So tonight is one of those nights that I wish my mom was here in the US. It is a rare occasion that I get to watch ER, usually my Thursday nights are spent with Middle School students at my church. But this Thursday I got to stay home and relax (which seems like a foreign concept to me at times, how sad). So I decided to partake in an old tradition of watching the Thursday night sitcoms and ER. When I was in High School I used to watch ER with mom after she got home from work at about 8 pm; Thursdays were always her “odd” day; meaning that she went into work at 11 am and would get home at 8 at night. So we would sit and watch ER and my dad would always ask me questions such as:

“What are they saying, Shannon? You’re gonna be a nurse you should know this!”

And now the usual question is:

“Is that really how it is? What does that mean?”

Now I am able to somewhat answer his questions, but I digress! I remember, one night when I was in college I happened to be watching ER and one particular doctor (that no one liked) got killed by a helicopter. Not less than 10 seconds after it happened my phone rang and the first words out of my mouth were:

“Oh my word! Did you see that!” And then that was immediatly followed by laughter on both our ends of the phone.

Tonight there was another another hilarious moment in the episode (involving a psych patient no less!) and I really wish I could have called my mom and laughed with her! But alas she and my father are up in the Himalaya’s hiking and relaxing on a little vacation; which is something they needed after being in India for four months. So this is a “shout out” to my mom (and dad, you too!) that I miss and love them very much! ER just isn’t the same without you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there too! They play ER reruns here at about 5 in the morning but at that hour I am just getting to sleep! I miss you and it makes me smile to know you remember those nights of watching ER!

Love Mom :-)