Wednesday, September 20, 2006

"Eggplant! Get your eggplant!"

Oh to have a real weekend! That is what I experienced this past weekend and it was absolutely spectacular. See, when I began my job in the “real world of nursing”, I did not realize that I would be giving up every other weekend so I could work at the hospital. It was an adjustment that I did not enjoy nor like in my life. Now that I have started my new job I have rediscovered what it is like to have weekends off, and I love it! But even with my weekends off, I have been so busy that I really haven’t had time to relax nor enjoy one of my favorite things about Madison. (I’m talking about the farmer’s market!) So this weekend I enjoyed a beautiful, warm fall day “full” of relaxing, laughing and catching up with friends.

I had forgotten what wonderful treats are present at the farmer’s market, I was able to get three big, beautiful eggplants for only $3.00! At the grocery store those cost about the same but for only one, and these are locally grown! Also, like I have mentioned before, fall is one of the best times for produce and especially bell peppers! See, I love bell peppers, especially the red ones (just ask my mom, she always bought them for when I came home to Duluth) and this week I was able to load up on them. Both of these ingredients were the start of my eggplant almond enchiladas, which I am currently thoroughly enjoying! As I sipped my coffee, ate a cranberry scone and sat on the capitol lawn, I realized how thankful I am to have a day where I can slow down and just enjoy life.

My relaxing day at the farmer’s market (and picking up nummy recipes at the Food For Thought Festival) was topped off by an amazing evening on the terrace visiting with friends and listening to some stories that made me laugh so hard, if I were drinking milk it would have come out of my nose! It was a night that made me feel happy, joyful and content that Madison is slowly becoming home to me. Just a note though, even though I “have seen the error of my ways” (not my quote!), I will ALWAYS, ALWAYS be a Minnesotan, which is the best state on earth!

2 comments:

Bret said...

So how does one make an eggplant almond enchilada? I've never thought of putting nuts in one.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Bucky the badger eats yellow rats for breakfast!
-A Man from the Beautiful state that is Wisconsin!